Felling a tree is certainly not something that can be done on a whim. Thought and effort must be put into it and of course you must know how to operate the tree felling equipment that you have at your disposal. If you don’t have your own tree felling equipment and safety gear, it’s best to turn to the tool rental professionals to ensure that you’re doing things right and safely.
Below are a few tips for safe tree felling:
- Always wear the necessary safety gear which includes ear muffs, helmet and safety glasses.
- Hire the right chainsaw for the task. Also obtain guidelines and proper instructions for the felling process from your Talisman store.
- Make sure that you estimate the height of the tree as precisely as possible. The tree will come tumbling down and you need to be able to determine what direction it falls in and ensure that there is sufficient space.
- Limber the lower trunk of the tree. Cut away any loose or dead branches or any branches that may get in the way. Remember to stand in such a way that the trunk of the tree acts as a barrier. Never stand directly behind your chainsaw.
- Make sure that you have a clear and safe path of retreat. Anything can happen when the tree falls. It could fall in the wrong direction; roots could spring up and so on. It is best to be able to step back and get out of harm’s way if required.
- To ensure that the tree falls in the right direction, you will need to cut a hinge in the trunk. Cut a wedge into the tree trunk on the same side that you want the tree to fall. The tree can then be partially felled, horizontally, from the other side.
- When you are felling the tree, do so slowly and stop at the halfway point in order to insert a wedge. This will stop the tree from falling in the wrong direction. Once you have felled right through, remove the wedge and the tree should fall.
These are just a few tips for felling a tree safely. If you have never felled a tree before, it is best to consult with the professionals on the exact method of tree felling – for your peace of mind, and ours.
Hire tree felling equipment from Talisman Hire
At Talisman Hire we stock a wide range of tree felling equipment, chain saws and other safety gear to ensure that you can fell a tree as safely as possible. We offer competitive tool hire rates and ensure that all of our equipment is safe to use and well maintained. If you would like more advice on tree felling and the equipment required, contact us at Talisman Hire.